I have a bad feeling about today’s Ten on Tuesday topic. Reading about everyone’s 10 favorite kitchen gadgets is likely to drive me straight to Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table for new toys – both dangerous places for me! In the meantime, here’s my 10 favorites:
1. KitchenAid Stand Mixer – I use mine constantly, for everything from whipped cream to mixing ingredients for meatballs.
2. the 5 quart glass bowl for my KitchenAid mixer – just got this for my birthday and its my new favorite thing in the kitchen. not only is the handle and pour spout handy, its huge – easily big enough for a double batch of cookies.
3. Silicone spatulas – great for baking.
4. Citrus press – best thing for juicing lemons and limes
5. Microplane grater – great for grating parmesan and zesting citrus
6. Mesh strainer – another one of those “multi use” items – colander for small quantities, flour sifter, sauce strainer, citrus pulp remover.
7. Orange peeler – the one you get for a $1 from Pampered Chef is the best thing they sell. I keep one in my lunch bag and one at home. no more ruining your manicure from peeling an orange.
8. “stick style” rolling pin – I’m sure there’s another name for the kind that’s just one piece with tapered ends. mine is handmade, picked up at a craft festival years ago and for me, the only way to get a nice, thin, even pie crust.
9. Odd size measuring spoons – I picked these up on a whim and use them all the time, especially the 2 teaspoon and 2 tablespoon ones.
10. Good knives – a few basic ones that are really good quality are essential.
your turn – go ahead and tempt me with what else I must have in the kitchen. Sur La Table is only 20 minutes away after all…
Tags: ten on tuesday